Looking Beyond Enterprise Mobility’s Alphabet Soup
Smartphones and tablets are a part of everyday life. We rely on them for GPS, TV and movies, fitness tracking, games and, of course, phone and text conversations. We also rely on them for work, accessing email and other business apps to remain productive in and out of the office.
There is no denying that enterprise mobility is evolving fast. VDC Research estimates that 75% of today’s IT departments either currently, or plan to support, bring your own device (BYOD) policies. The other 25% have a problem. The global mobile workforce is expected to hit 1.3 billion by 2015, according to IDC. Can IT departments be an effective gatekeeper facing that much momentum?
BYOD Strategies Can be Overwhelming
The latest best-of-breed solutions offer an alphabet soup of options, ranging from choose your own device (CYOD) to bring your own app (BYOA) to corporate-owned, personally enabled (COPE). The list goes on with new acronyms being created even as you read this.
Enterprise IT departments, especially the unprepared 25%, need to think beyond the latest acronyms and focus on how and why today’s workforce rely on mobile technologies. It’s not about the device. It’s about the mission-critical data and applications workers need to do their job. It’s about providing reliable and secure connectivity to corporate resources to help next year’s 1.3 billion mobile workers stay productive.